Position Title: STEM Education Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Programs & Exhibits
FLSA Status: Full-time Exempt
Date Last Revised: August 2015
Summary: ECHO’s mission is to educate and delight people about the Ecology, Culture, History, and Opportunity for stewardship of the Lake Champlain Basin. ECHO is a dynamic learning and teaching community committed to engaging diverse public audiences in dialogue; providing experiential, relevant and lifelong educational experiences to guests; and inspiring environmental stewardship of the Lake Champlain Basin. ECHO employees are expected to contribute to a productive, respectful workplace by modeling good humor, communication, collaboration and accountability to our colleagues, creatures and guests.
The STEM Education Coordinator leads the development and delivery of all STEM education programming at ECHO. S/he also manages ECHO’s overnights program, co-administers ECHO’s camps, and participates in the Program & Exhibit team’s exhibit and festival work. The successful applicant will be a dynamic presenter, demonstrate strong skills in hands-on curriculum design, and possess intermediate maker/fabrication skills. The position requires a five day workweek, including one weekend day, work schedule with occasional overnight and holiday shifts as part of a 40-hour/week commitment.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Part-time/Seasonal Education Staff
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and deliver engaging STEM presentations and activities for the public
- Develop and deliver STEM programming and curriculum for school groups
- Co-manage and teach youth summer and vacation camps
- Manage and deliver scout group overnights/events
- Help plan and deliver week-long public festivals
- Fabricate prototype exhibits/educational materials using hand, power, and rapid prototyping tools
- Participate in the development of new exhibits
- Represent ECHO in radio and television media
- Other duties and special projects assigned as needed
This job description is not a complete statement of the position's tasks; it is intended as a guide to the general work to be performed.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in education and/or STEM field.
- 5+ years experience building and delivering memorable STEM learning experiences.
- Exceptional public presentation skills.
- Strong knowledge of educational theory and practice, especially in informal science education.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office, Google Apps; enthusiasm for educational technology.
- Experience in curriculum development, assessment, and program evaluation.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic team setting.
- Ability to recruit and train seasonal staff.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to drive multiple projects.
- Ability to design/fabricate custom educational materials/prototypes using digital, power, and hand tools.
- Strong interpersonal, written/verbal communication, and networking skills.
- Committed to ongoing cultural competence.
- Able to work a 40-hour/week schedule, including weekend, evening and holiday shifts.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work is performed partially in a regular office setting and in various classroom and teaching settings. The STEM Education Coordinator must be able to work at a computer for several hours at a time. The position also requires the individual to effectively communicate subject matter to ECHO guests.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and professional growth opportunities.
To Apply: Application Deadline: September 14
ECHO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with STEM Education Coordinator in the subject line or by mail to ECHO, One College Street, Burlington, VT 05401. For more information on ECHO go to: www.echovermont.org.