Job Title: Accounting Associate
Reports To: Director of Finance & Administration
FLSA Status: Exempt
Compensation: $35,000 to $40,000
Date Last Approved/Revised: April, 2014
The Accounting Associate is responsible for supporting the Director of Finance in the administration of all aspects of accounting, finance and human resources at ECHO. The position is permanent and full-time and reports to the Director of Finance and interfaces with all members of the ECHO team in carrying out the requirements and duties related to the accounting, finance, and human resources functions.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Input vendor invoices into the accounts payable module of the financial accounting system.
- Input cash receipts into the sales and accounts receivable modules of the financial accounting system.
- Prepare monthly book-to-bank cash reconciliations.
- Prepare general ledger account reconciliations as required.
- Payroll journal entry preparation.
- Assist in month-end financial closing process and financial statement preparation.
- Prepare various information returns (Federal, State, etc.) as required.
- Assist in the preparation of information required for the year-end audit and tax return.
- Manage the purchase and distribution of office supplies.
- Petty cash administration.
This job description is not intended to be a complete statement of the position; it is intended merely to be a guide to the general work to be performed.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- A working understanding of financial accounting in a not-for-profit environment; bachelor’s degree in accounting or business preferred.
- Minimum of one year’s, hands-on experience working with a financial accounting system (QuickBooks experience preferred). Experience with Blackbaud’s Altru software a plus.
- A basic understanding of payroll administration.
Essential Job Skills and Abilities:
- Solid accounting skills.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills including mastery of MS Excel and attention to detail.
- Self-motivation; the ability to identify opportunities and problems and to take initiative to deal with them appropriately.
- A willingness to learn and grow.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work is performed in a regular office setting. The Accounting Associate must be able to work at a computer for several hours at a time. Some weekends, holiday, and after-hours work may occasionally be required.
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com (include job title on the subject line) or send via postal service to ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center, One College Street, Burlington, VT 05401, Attn: Human Resources by April 25, 2014.
Make sure to check out our volunteer opportunities
for other great ways to get involved at ECHO!