Reports To: Education Programs Coordinator & STEM Education Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Date Last Revised: February 2020
Hourly Compensation: $13.50
How to Apply: Please apply by Friday, April 3, 2020. ECHO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes resumes from individuals who will contribute to our diversity. Send resume and cover letter to ECHO Job Search. Please put Summer Camp Assistant in the subject line of the email and send to: email@example.com.
Summary: ECHO’s mission is to inspire and engage families in the joy of scientific discovery, the wonder of nature, and the care of Lake Champlain. ECHO is a dynamic learning and teaching community committed to engaging diverse public audiences in dialogue; providing experiential, relevant and lifelong educational experiences to guests; and inspiring environmental stewardship of the Lake Champlain Basin. ECHO employees are expected to contribute to a productive, respectful workplace by modeling good humor, communication, collaboration and accountability to our colleagues, creatures, and guests.
The Camp Program Assistant will work to deliver exceptional educational experiences for children participating in ECHO summer camps. ECHO summer camps host youth entering grades 1-6 to explore hands on science in and around our facility on the shores of Lake Champlain. The Camp Program Assistant will work with a team of camp staff to deliver week-long, science, stewardship and design themed camps to up to 18 children from June to August, 2019.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Learn and understand ECHO’s mission, exhibits, camp programs, and safety protocols.
- Attend pre-camp orientation.
- Help lead science activities, group games, and crafts for groups of up to 18 children.
- Help manage logistics, including facilitating snack, check-in, and check-out.
- Ensure participant safety.
- Foster environmental stewardship among youth.
- Help staff camp aftercare program.
This job description is not intended to be a complete statement of the position; it is intended merely to be a guide to the general work to be performed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Experience working with youth, preferably in the context of the environment and/or science.
- Must be 18 years or older, High School graduate or equivalent.
Essential Job Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to lead science and recreational activities
- First Aid/CPR Certified
- Strong behavior management skills
- Talent for building memorable camp experiences
- Strong work ethic, dependable, flexible, and punctual
- Excellent team player
- Must pass criminal background check
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work is performed on the museum floor, in our camp spaces in and outside of ECHO. The Summer Camp Assistant must be able to be physically active for several hours at a time and be able to effectively communicate subject matter and safety protocols to ECHO campers.