The ECHO, Leahy Center of Lake Champlain seeks a bold and visionary Executive Director to lead all staff in fulfilling the museum’s mission to inspire and engage families in the joy of scientific discovery, wonder of nature, and care of Lake Champlain. Download the Executive Director Prospectus here.
Building on the museum’s strengths and successful evolution, the ideal candidate will be energized by the opportunity to work collaboratively with both the board and staff on four priority areas: designing and implementing a new strategic plan, building additional financial capacity, developing and empowering the internal team, and engaging with external partners and community members.
The successful candidate will demonstrate their ability to meaningfully engage all constituencies in the development of a compelling strategic plan that propels the museum into its next chapter and beyond. A demonstrated track record of aligning resources to simultaneously address both current operational needs and progress on strategic priorities is equally important. Evidence of innovative thinking coupled with knowledge of best practices and data-informed decision-making is strongly desired.
Top candidates will have a penchant for action while also consistently demonstrating a transparent and consultative style of decision-making. They will be an exceptional communicator and possess the ability to inspire and motivate staff at all levels of the organization. The ideal candidate will demonstrate evidence of inclusive and equitable leadership in previous work experiences. They will view leadership through a growth mindset and will relish the opportunity to support and develop staff and teams to drive maximum operational effectiveness while fostering a positive work culture.
The Executive Director will provide overall leadership and management of the day-to-day operations of the museum and its staff. As such, strong candidates will be able to provide leadership, through and in collaboration with Senior Staff, on exhibit and educational planning, financial and risk management, human resources, marketing/communications, retail and event management, facility maintenance, and animal care.
Candidates must be able to develop meaningful relationships that expand the museum’s relevance and relevance within the community. Direct experience in fundraising, and the ability to cultivate funds through both individual solicitations and grant or foundation-sourced contributions, is required. The ability to leverage professional networks and relationships to develop new partnerships and funding sources is viewed as a valuable asset.
The successful candidate will possess, through a combination of academic experience and professional achievement, a strong science-related background. The ideal candidate will also hold a heartfelt passion for ECHO’s mission and a deep love of science education, native wildlife, and environmental stewardship.
Review of candidates will begin immediately, with a preferred application date of October 21, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references to ECHOED@hawleyconsultingservices.com. All correspondence will be treated as confidential and references will not be contacted without prior permission.
ECHO is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates for employment who will contribute to our diversity.
ECHO requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain
ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain is an innovative science and nature museum located on the Burlington Waterfront. Open daily, ECHO encourages visitors to view the natural environment as part of their neighborhood and to explore, learn about, and consider opportunities for stewardship. Since 1995, we have taught more than 3 million visitors about the role of science in our culture and lives. ECHO leverages its unique setting to inspire and engage families in the joy of scientific discovery, wonder of nature, and care of Lake Champlain.
Reports to: Director of Sales and Guest Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours/week. Weekend, evening and holiday hours required. This is a permanent, year round position. Typical schedule is Sunday-Thursday
How to apply: Please apply via Indeed. Click link here. Applications accepted until the position is filled. Ideal start date is October 30, 2022.
Summary: ECHO’s mission is to inspire and engage families in the joy of scientific discovery, wonder of nature, and care of Lake Champlain. ECHO is a dynamic, nationally acclaimed, science and nature museum committed to engaging diverse public audiences and providing experiential, relevant and lifelong educational experiences for all our guests. ECHO employees are expected to contribute to a productive, respectful, inclusive workplace by modeling humor, communication, collaboration and accountability to our colleagues, animals and guests.
Job Purpose: ECHO seeks an individual experienced in customer service with a positive and welcoming personality. This position will be responsible for selling admission tickets, memberships, movie tickets, and cafe items. The Guest Service Representative is also responsible for providing guests with information about ECHO, its mission and exhibits as well as restocking the gift shop, helping with receiving new toy orders, assisting with events as well as answering general questions about the area. The ideal candidate will be customer service focused, organized and able to stay on point while multitasking during periods of high activity. This position reports to the Director of Sales and Guest Services.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Open front desk including computers, cash drawer counting, and turning on all monitors and open cafe in time for guest arrival
- Meet and greet ECHO walk-up guests and scheduled groups
- Create a positive first impression of ECHO
- Process front desk admission, film and membership sales
- Stay informed about ECHO exhibits, programs, and gift shop merchandise
- Help sell ECHO products by explaining annual membership benefits, movies, and suggesting gift shop merchandise
- Set up event spaces with birthday party supplies
- Set up cafe space including brewing coffee, stocking snacks and cups, setting up chairs
- Answer guest questions about ECHO and Burlington area or guide them to where they will get the question answered
- Serve as first point of contact for guest injuries or complaints; report incidents or complaints to the proper Manager and/or Director
- Make daily announcements and keep guests informed about activities, demos and public programs
- Answer phone questions directed to the Front Desk
- Close all drawers and prepare daily cash-out
- Perform reception duties (receive express mail packages, greet ECHO staff guests, keep front desk neat and organized, etc.)
- Monitor parking as needed
- Assist in daily floor closing procedures and clean-up
- Process gift shop merchandise sales
- Assists in gift shop inventory count
- Other duties may be assigned as needed
- Serve as ECHO representative in the front-desk area for events scheduled outside of regular operating hours.
This job description is not intended to be a complete statement of the position; it is intended merely to be a guide to the general work to be performed.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least six months of customer service experience
- Retail and cash-handling experience
- Knowledge or interest in the ECHO mission
- High School or GED
Essential Job Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to operate a cash register and learn ticketing system
- Attention to detail, facility with numbers
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new programs and systems
- Ability to work with changing coworker team including volunteers, interns and seasonal staff
- Can-do attitude and willingness to take on additional responsibility
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Skilled in customer service
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Work is performed in an active public setting in our lobby, at our front desk and gift shop. The Customer Service Representative must be able to work at the front desk and work at a computer for several hours at a time. The position also requires the individual to effectively communicate ECHO information and work regular weekend and holiday hours.
ECHO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes candidates for employment who will contribute to our diversity.
ECHO requires all of our employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-