Reports to: Director of Animal Care & Facilities
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Date Last Approved/Revised: November 2020
Schedule: Full time, Non-exempt. Regular schedule is four, ten hour days to include one weekend day per week; some after hours work as required.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Facilities Coordinator in the subject line. Apply by November 30, 2020.
ECHO’s mission is to inspire and engage families in the joy of scientific discovery, wonder of nature, and care of Lake Champlain. ECHO is a dynamic, nationally acclaimed, science center and lake aquarium committed to engaging diverse public audiences and providing experiential, relevant and lifelong educational experiences for all our guests. ECHO employees are expected to contribute to a productive, respectful, inclusive workplace by modeling humor, communication, collaboration and accountability to our colleagues, animals and guests.
The Facilities/Exhibits Maintenance Coordinator is an experienced team player who will participate in leading the Facilities & Animal Care Department. This role will lead and assist in facilities and exhibits projects, daily building maintenance, custodial care, and will assist in supervising animal care work in the absence of the animal care supervisor and the Director of Animal Care and Facilities. In addition, this position will act as an ECHO Floor Admiral. ECHO’s Floor Admiral provides oversight of daily floor operations and a cross-departmental daily guest experience team.
Supervises Building Maintenance Technicians, Facilities & Animal Care Specialist and volunteers/interns. In addition, will assist in coordinating animal care work when needed.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate short and long term work schedules to complete both daily facilities tasks and project work.
- Communicates and collaborates with repair persons, contractors and vendors to ensure installations and repairs done in a timely and cost effective manner.
- In absence of Environmental Exhibit Coordinator and FAC Director, this position will supervise and coordinate the entire FAC team.
- Supervise and carry out within facilities:
–installation, maintenance and repair of static, interactive, electronic, AV and other interior and exterior exhibits.
–maintenance and repair of building mechanical systems (HVAC, plumbing, aquarium life support systems, etc.).
–troubleshooting failed mechanical systems or exhibits and conferring with other facilities staff to establish best means of repair.
–maintaining exterior areas including parking lot, walkways, trash area and planted areas: deicing, snow removal, mowing, planter bed maintenance,
–maintaining interior and exterior of building and adjacent areas: roofing, painting, floor repairs, plumbing, lighting, signage install and repair;
masonry repair, concrete work, etc.
- Supervise and carry out within custodial:
–Daily cleaning of guest, staff and service areas: dusting, mopping, sweeping, scrubbing, window cleaning, trash removal, bathroom cleaning.
–Periodic deep cleaning utilizing carpet extractor and floor burnisher.
–Collect and transfer trash/recyclables to appropriate bulk storage or disposal containers.
–Maintain/stock paper products, solvents, cleansers, hand cleansers, etc. as needed.
–Periodic cleaning, sweeping, raking, etc. of exterior walkways, planter beds, parking lot and Hoehl Park; Weeding and lawn care
–Power washing terraces and building
–Respond to requests for emergency custodial needs in a timely manner.
- Act as ECHO’s Floor Admiral on a weekly and as-needed basis. The Floor Admiral provides managerial oversight of a cross-departmental day guest
experience team and related operations.
–Lead communication and collaboration with other department members regarding facilities and animal care work.
–Train volunteers, interns, and other facilities staff.
–Research and purchase replacement parts and equipment and secure best prices.
–Assist with building mechanical software package (WebCTRL) and building lighting software package (Keeper Enterprise) to optimize system functions and minimize resource consumption.
— Assist Animal Care staff in animal care equipment maintenance and repair.
- Assist in developing and managing departmental budget.
- Other duties and special projects assigned as needed.
This job description is not intended to be a complete statement of the position; it is intended merely to be a guide to the general work to be performed.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associates degree in related field or trade certification.
- Three years experience in building maintenance or construction related fields.
- Additional work or experience may be considered in lieu of degree or certification.
- One year of supervisory experience.
- Experience and aptitude in learning computer software.
- Experience and knowledge in job safety rules and regulations.
Essential Job Skills and Abilities
- Lead troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of LEED Certified Building.
- Carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical skills.
- Electrical and electronics repair.
- Able to read, interpret and manipulate building maintenance and lighting control software.
- Supervisory skills to include, assign, review and evaluate tasks to strategically supervise departmental staff.
- Responsive multitasker who is comfortable working in fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills to work with staff from all departments.
- Strong organizational abilities to set priorities, problem solve and facilitate sound decision making.
- Flexible, adaptive and responsive to visitor needs and able to assist team members in providing quality customer service.
- Demonstrate ECHO’s core values of Accountability, Communication, Collaboration, Humor, Cultural Responsiveness.
- Open to learning and growing in their position.
- Able to perform strenuous work and lift and/or move at least 50 pounds on a regular basis and occasionally more than 100 pounds.
- Valid Vermont driver’s license.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee sometimes works near moving mechanical parts and is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee may work in high, precarious places and be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. Regular weekend and occasional after-hours work is required.
ECHO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes candidates for employment who will contribute to our diversity.